Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Getting to Know You
Some of you may have noticed that the button on the right has changed.  The Bead Soup Blog Hop was cancelled. :(  But luckily, one of the members of Bead Peeps, a beading group on Facebook, emailed me to let me know about their blog hop.  So I joined and entered.  One part of the blog hop is letting fellow members know my particular beading preferences, so here we go.
1. I started making jewelry very gradually.  I made pieces with whatever beads I could find in craft stores (usually plastic) up until I was in high school.  That was when I found the plethora of jewelry making websites, blogs, and tutorials.  I began trading out the sub-standard plastic for gemstone and glass.  Eventually my skill turned to upcycling old, unwanted jewelry pieces made of whatever material.

2. I have a duality when it comes to style.  On the one hand, I like to make elegant pieces of gemstones and precious metals.  On the other hand I make bohemian, eclectic style jewelry made of bits and pieces of whatever I've taken apart.

3. I'll use just about anything.  I dislike using plastic that has been bought recently, because I don't want to be a part of the demand for more plastic consumption.  However, if it comes from a piece that has been worn for awhile, I don't mind it.  I don't like to use nickle or nickle-heavy metals, as I and many others have an allergy to it.  I am trying to incorporate more color in the metal I use, such as brass and copper.

4. I love using wire.  I try to learn wire wrapping techniques whenever I can, though I am still learning.  I enjoy making multi-strand pieces quite a bit.  I am also learning how to use alcohol inks and other colorants, as well as using sheet metal.
I CANNOT BEAD WEAVE.  That isn't to say I don't like or use seed beads, but trying to weave them with thread has proven to be beyond my ability.  I hold great admiration for those who can though.

5. I love to use earth tones and jewel tones.  I LOVE metallics.  I've shied away from pastels, especially pink, but am trying to include all colors in my palette.

Random trivia?  Um... I'm about to be a first-time aunt.  I am going to school for massage therapy.  I love tiny bubbles.  You know, the ones that come out of a dish soap bottle sometimes?  Those things make me so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment