Sunday, January 1, 2012

A New Tradition is Born!
Last night was New Years Eve, as you all know.  My family used to go all out for New Years, party poppers and silly string galore.  But as my sisters and I have gotten older, this tradition has slowly but surely come to a halt, much to my displeasure.  But as New Years is a holiday in it's own right I believe it should have a tradition of some kind.  So me being the resident kitchen witch, I decided to not only make something to eat, but use an otherwise wasted food product in our house.

On Yule I attempted to make a Yule log.  It tasted good but was not very pretty.  Part of the recipe I used calls for whipping cream, something our family does not use unless we have a specific recipe.  The Yule log recipe did not use the whole carton though, leaving me with a cup of unused cream.  So I wracked my brain for something I could use it for and voila!  

New Year's Eve Chocolate Mousse
Note: I halved this recipe

12 oz. semisweet chocolate
2 sticks unsalted butter
6 eggs, separated
4 Tbsp white sugar, halved
2 cups cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt the chocolate and unsalted butter in a double boiler. (I just use a saucepan and hold it above the flame.  Worked just fine.)  Stir mixture as it melts and remove from heat and let cool slightly.  Do not let it harden.
Separate eggs.  Add yolks one at a time to chocolate mixture.
Whip egg whites with half of the sugar in a separate bowl until they form soft peaks.
In another bowl, whip cream with remaining sugar and vanilla.  Beat until cream holds it's shape.
Fold cream mixture into chocolate but do not mix completely.
Add egg whites and fold in carefully.  There should be white streaks remaining in the brown of the chocolate.  Serve immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator.
You can top with chocolate shavings, sprinkles or fruit.  Anything you want, really.  

No comments:

Post a Comment