Thursday, September 5, 2013

Being New is Never Fun
So!  Doing something new!  I'm starting this writing prompt thing that comes out every week.  There are 5 prompts released on Monday and a blog hop every Thursday.  If you want to join, click on the link over -> that way.

This week's prompt that I'm doing is 'First day of school!'  I have no kids to post about, so I'll share with you one of my many experiences on the subject.  I suppose I shouldn't say being new is never fun...but it's anxiety provoking at best, let alone when you do it *counts on fingers* seven times.  And that isn't counting high school, for which I was home schooled.

One of the more memorable would be sixth grade.  Not only was my first day in the middle of the year (we moved at an inopportune time for me) but my Mom came in with me.  She insisted on talking to the teachers and be all mom-like.  I was so nervous that I was really quiet, as I always was.  I had friends at my own school.  I rode my bike to my old school for the last week before break, why couldn't I do it the rest of the year?  *shakes fist at the institution*  

Once my mom finally left (thank goodness) and people quit looking at me funny, we actually got the day started.  I was good at the school part.  I loved Math (I don't have the foggiest clue as to why) and was a well-behaved kid.  I was just crap at the socializing part.  Luckily for me, I didn't have to try so hard.  A group of girls came over to me and were really quite friendly.  I was surprised that it was so easy, but I didn't question it.  I even got one of their phone numbers!  Score!  I was set.  I was (and still am) a person who didn't need everybody to like me.  Just a few people being pleasant to me on a regular basis was all I needed.  I went home that day feeling absolutely fabulous.


3 comments:

  1. I am glad you ended up having a great time at school! I went to one school for K-4th and then moved across town, just far enough from my old house that I had to go to a new school. JUST FOR 5TH GRADE. THE HORROR....it was totally fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing worse for a 6th grader than a mom was has the nerve to be "all mom-like". I work in a middle school and that line made me laugh so hard!

    Glad you linked up today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, those first days were always nerve racking for me! I don't miss school one bit!!

    ReplyDelete