Friday, December 13, 2013

Day Thirteen: My First...
Today's prompt at KIOSB is to share a first.  Now, I've been wracking my brain to think of a good one.  Most of my firsts I can't seem to remember.  But as I sat down with my mug of tea it hit me.  So I'll share with you the first time I ever had coffee.

I remember we were at a hotel for some reason.  Perhaps it was a part of one of our little vacations to Vermont.  We had just woken up and were eating breakfast.  My sisters and I ask if we could have some coffee (as we were wont to do) and this time my parents actually said yes!  So we each got a little Styrofoam cup and filled it to the brim, not even considering that we may not like it.

Of course, one must taste the coffee before adding anything to it, just in case a seven year old might like their coffee black.  Naturally, being a child that young and having no palate for the bitterness of coffee, I grimaced and began adding sugar and cream.  A lot of it.  To the point where it was the lightest shade of brown possible and tasted like cotton candy that fell in the bathtub.

Needless to say I was disgusted.  Why would adults drink this stuff?  It was so bad either way it made no sense.  Well, adults made no sense, so I chalked it up to one of those weird things that I would never understand.  My parents did try to explain that I added too much sugar, but to no avail.  I was seven... there was no such thing as too much sugar.

I have learned how to drink coffee properly since then, but I must say I still prefer my Earl Grey.


No comments:

Post a Comment