Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Surreal Experience


Today was an interesting day.  I found myself with 5 hours... to myself.  All alone in the house.  Which is a rarity in my family.  There are six people living here.  Momo and Ada (my mom and step-father), my oldest sister and her fiance, Twinny and myself.  


My parents were on vacation this last week, but came home late today.  My two sisters and my sister's fiance went to a party.  Thus the alone time.  So what did I choose to do in those few hours of solitude?  


Cooking and cleaning.


First I made dinner for myself.  It was delicious, but weird only cooking for one when I'm used to cooking for six.  I had to use a little pan for my chicken and a saucepan for the mashed potatoes.  A saucepan!  The little pot you cook a can of soup in!  And I still ended up making too much mashed potatoes.


After eating I did what any responsible person would do.  The dishes.  It really wasn't so bad.  I could do them the way I wanted and listen to whatever music I chose.  Once I finished the dishes, I really got down to business.


I've been wanting to make pumpkin pie from scratch for awhile now.  I mean cook the pumpkin and puree it yourself from scratch.  So that's what I did.  My oldest sister cut the first pumpkin for me and I had pureed that already.  But I needed a bit more.  Luckily we had another pie pumpkin.  


I tried to cut it the conventional way, by hacking into it.  That wasn't working as fast as I wanted it to.  I had to find a better way.  So being the logical person I am, I got out a flat head screwdriver and a meat tenderizer and proceeded to use them like a hammer and chisel to break the thing open.  And you know something?  It worked marvelously.


I also made the crust from scratch.  As an aspiring chef I feel I should make as much food from their base ingredients.  It was annoying to try and make the dough the size I wanted and it kept sticking to the rolling pin.  But I beat the dough into submission and eventually got a lovely pie crust out of the deal.


My parents came home shortly thereafter.  Both of them said my pie looked tasty.




Once my siblings came home it was actually eaten.  Apparently my first pumpkin pie was a success.


And I don't even like pumpkin pie.

1 comment: