Friday, November 11, 2011


Thankfulness
Today will be a double post as I missed the first day.  Cordelia of Cordelia's Cauldron has started a 15 days of Thankfulness.  You can find the first post here.
November 10 - Day 1 - An author, artist and musician you are thankful for.

An author I am (as well as many other pagans)thankful for is Scott Cunningham.  Not only was he a great Wiccan author, but he had many books on the basic magical properties of herbs, oils, incenses and even food.  His books were written in such a way that is comforting and explains things so anyone can understand.  I'm certain I speak for many in the pagan community when I say I am saddened that I never got to actually meet this great teacher.
Bewitching by Jessica Galbreth
An artist I am thankful for is Jessica Galbreth.  She is in my opinion one of the great fantasy artists in modern times.  I am in awe of artists in general, as I can't draw to save my life, but I've always loved fantasy.  And faeries!  Jessica Galbreth has created a great collection of art that I always find beautiful.  She has faeries, dragons, zodiac figures, and goddesses.  I even have a figurine representation of one of her works.

Finally, a musician I am thankful for is George Michael.  He first started in Wham a few years before my time, but thanks to my mom I practically grew up on 80's music.  That and she love George's music all through my childhood and to this day.  I love his music because it bring my family together.  My mom, sisters and I can sing most of his songs by heart.  I love the wide range of emotion he shows from song to song.  Some are great for dancing and other more subdued or sorrowful.  So I hope you take a listen to the above video and enjoy the pop-y loveliness.
November 11 - Day 2 - 3 veterans you know that you are thankful for.
Three veterans I am thankful for are my biological father, my paternal grandfather and my maternal great-grandmother.

Now I don't know a lot about the actual military careers of my family.  They're the type not to talk about it.  My father was in the navy before I was born.  Without him I wouldn't be here, nor would I be the person I am.  We recently reconciled after several years of a strained relationship.  I feel much better for it. 

I'm not sure what division of the military my grandfather was in, but he did fight in the Korean War.  Unfortunately his health hasn't been doing well as of late.  I hope to be able to go see him before he gets too bad.  He's the silent type, but he always said goodbye with a big hug and a smile.

My great-grandmother passed several years ago.  She was in the navy when she was young and it certainly showed.  She was always a stern individual, but I loved her nonetheless.  My mom likes to say that I am a lot like her (I'm a serious person myself) and that we would have gotten along quite well.  She practically raised my mom, so I have a lot to be grateful to her for.

No comments:

Post a Comment